NUTRITION FOR YOU
In this trimester your baby will be gaining weight faster than ever, but it is not the quantity of what you eat that is important – it is the quality – and there are some key nutrients that both you and your baby will need in the next few months.
Carry on eating your basic healthy diet, but pay particular attention to the following:
- Protein is more important than ever now as your baby builds muscles and tissue. To supply the varying kinds of protein that your baby needs for a range of body functions, you should aim to eat a number of different combinations of amino acids.
- Glycine is an amino acid that is essential for growth, and your baby receives it via the placenta in your bloodstream.
- Iron is vital and you need to build up your stores in preparation for labour. It will help give you energy and boost your immune system to enable you to fight off infection and will also help to prevent premature labour.
- Vitamin C should be consumed alongside iron-rich foods as it helps your body absorb the iron. You also need to boost your immune system and help your body heal after delivery. Vitamin C aids the production of collagen, connective tissue and the repair of blood vessels.
- Zinc is needed for your baby’s growth but it is vital for you too. A pregnant woman needs around 20mcg of zinc per day, but it can be difficult to get enough from your normal diet, so a supplement can be important.
- Vitamin K is routinely given as an injection to newborns as it plays an essential role in the clotting of blood. However, you can boost your baby’s supply in advance of birth by eating foods that are rich in this vitamin such as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower.
NUTRITION FOR YOUR BABY
From week 28-40 you have a crucial window of opportunity to help your baby’s brain begin to develop to its full potential:
Sign up FREE today for unlimited access:
- Book appointments
- Free expert advice & tips
- Premium videos & audio
- Curated parenting newsletters
- Chat with your bloss community
- Discounts & competitions
- Special events
Zita West is a midwife of 40 years and acupuncturist Over the years she has helped thousands of couples get pregnant She has used her books, clinic and supplements to help couples get pregnant To continue viewing… Get FREE, unlimited access to all content You must sign up to view more content and gain full […]
NUTRITION FOR YOU The right nutrients, vitamins and minerals are needed at this stage of your pregnancy, particularly to ensure the good health of your baby’s bones and teeth – and the maintenance of your all-around health and well-being too. The placenta is now growing at an even faster rate than your baby: and the […]
Now that your baby is here, you are a family and your baby needs to feel the same love and protection that you gave her or him while she or he was inside you. While the responsibility of caring for your newborn may at times feel overwhelming, the simple advice is to trust your instincts […]