These tips can assist anyone who has felt triggered by discussion of the content in the talk from our Instagram LIVE. More detailed information can be found on the handout and workshop around trauma, also available on my page.
Tips to control anxiety:
- Refocus your attention! Concentrate really hard on something in your environment: colours, shapes and textures of objects you feel. Titles of books on shelf, a passage from a book. Describe these things to yourself in your head in detail
- Find a ‘grounding object’- a comforting, tangible object which you carry around with you and squeeze when you space out to bring you back to the present. A small item/soft toy, key ring, stress ball.
- Develop a grounding image. Rehearse a soothing image, one which helps you to feel in control and safe.
- Develop a grounding phrase, a few words or a tune which is affirming and a reminder that you are surviving in the present. Phrase from ‘I am ok’ to ‘i am ok, I am strong, I am safe and I am here in this moment’.
- In addition, you can remind yourself of where you are, what day and date is it and that you are safe.
- Try to find a grounding position, a physical position in which you feel safe and/or strong. Superwoman pose
- Some find curling up is comforting other prefer a more upright stance with shoulders back. You need to discover what works for you.
- Find some mindfulness exercise that works for you, that allow access to relaxation and meditation exercises that works.
- If the symptoms persist it is very important to seek support from your GP and they can direct you to local services that might be useful.