Although the instructions calls for 1 cup of sand, I usually make about 10 cups (about 3.6 kg) for a sensory bin
- Makes 1 cup (about 362 g) colored sand
- 1 cup (about 362 g) play sand
- Several drop of gel or regular food coloring
- Spray bottle of water
- Large, resealable plastic bag
- Baking sheet, for drying
- Parchment paper
- Airtight container or resealable plastic bag, for storage
- In a large, resealable plastic bag, pour the play sand and add several drops of food coloring.
- Spray the play sand with a little bit of water to help with color absorption.
- Seal the bag and shake and massage the play sand until the color is evenly distributed.
- Add more food coloring, as needed.
- Line a baking sheet or plastic container with parchment paper.
- Spread out the colored sand on the parchment paper as thinly as you can, to help it dry faster. Allow it to dry overnight. As the sand dries, use a spoon carefully to separate the grains.
- Repeat for each color, drying each color separately on its own baking sheet.
- As your little one plays with the colored sand, there may be some transfer of color onto their hands or clothing. Wear a smock or play clothing to help protect clothes Wash hands with soap and water to remove the color.
- Store the colored sand in an airtight container.
- How to Make Kinetic Sand