Although the instructions calls for 1 cup of sand, I usually make about 10 cups (about 3.6 kg) for a sensory bin
- Makes 1 cup (about 362 g) colored sand
- 1 cup (about 362 g) play sand
- Several drop of gel or regular food coloring
- Spray bottle of water
- Large, resealable plastic bag
- Baking sheet, for drying
- Parchment paper
- Airtight container or resealable plastic bag, for storage
- In a large, resealable plastic bag, pour the play sand and add several drops of food coloring.
- Spray the play sand with a little bit of water to help with color absorption.
- Seal the bag and shake and massage the play sand until the color is evenly distributed.
- Add more food coloring, as needed.
- Line a baking sheet or plastic container with parchment paper.
- Spread out the colored sand on the parchment paper as thinly as you can, to help it dry faster. Allow it to dry overnight. As the sand dries, use a spoon carefully to separate the grains.
- Repeat for each color, drying each color separately on its own baking sheet.
- As your little one plays with the colored sand, there may be some transfer of color onto their hands or clothing. Wear a smock or play clothing to help protect clothes Wash hands with soap and water to remove the color.
- Store the colored sand in an airtight container.
- How to Make Kinetic Sand
Sign up FREE today for unlimited access:
- Book appointments
- Free expert advice & tips
- Premium videos & audio
- Curated parenting newsletters
- Chat with your bloss community
- Discounts & competitions
- Special events
Are you ready for a spooktacular Halloween? Halloween is all about making memories from trick-or-treating around your neighbourhood with friends and family, to getting all dressed up, to picking out and carving the perfect pumpkin! To help you make the most of your Halloween this year I have put together 5 bat-tactic Halloween games, activities […]
Makes about 8 cups amount cloud dough Ingredients Large mixing bowl 8 cups (1 kg) all-purpose flour ½ cup (55 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, or more as needed (optional, for brown cloud dough) 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil Method In the mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder (if using) and vegetable oil. Mix […]
Makes about 8 cups (about 3kg) kinetic sand Ingredients 2 mixing bowls 6 cups (about 2.1 kg) uncolored play sand 1½ cups (192 g) cornstarch Whisk 2 tsp (10 ml) dishwashing liquid ¾ cup (175 ml) water, or as needed Airtight container or resealable plastic bag, for storage Method In one mixing bowl, combine the […]