NEST explains how to help the whole family enjoy a stress-free move
Moving house can be daunting for anyone, especially when you have little ones in tow. Here at NEST, we are passionate about supporting families and working alongside each and every client to ensure we find a solution which is right for you.If you have a house move coming up or know someone who does, then hopefully the following tips will help. As an Early Years Consultancy, we look after the whole family, so we feel it is really important to first mention a little top tip for parents and carers:
Be sure to make your bed soon after arriving in your new home (whatever time of the day it is), so you know you’ve got somewhere comfy to go at the end of the day. There is nothing worse after a full-on day of unpacking than suddenly remembering you have to find the bed sheets and make the bed before you can relax.
Here are some tips to make the transition of moving house easier on your little ones:
- If you are able to decorate the house before moving in, it is worth sorting your child’s room as a priority to ensure they have a welcoming, safe space to which they can retreat.
- Before moving house, introduce a room spray or scent, so when you do move, your child’s new bedroom will have the same familiar, comforting smell as their old one.
- The same goes for your little one’s bed as your own; it’s always worth prioritising getting their bed ready for them, especially if they still take daytime naps.
- Prepare an easily-accessible bag of toys for the children to keep them occupied on moving day.
- If you know someone who can look after your children for the day or take them out for a walk, book them in. Not only will it provide children with a distraction and the full focus of at least one adult, but it will also offer you some respite time.
- If your little one attends nursery, school or a childminder and it is feasible for them to attend on moving day, then this is always a good option.
- If your child is old enough to understand what is going on, provide them with honest, age-appropriate information to make them feel involved.
- Be prepared for routines to go out of the window and don’t be hard on yourself if this does happen. You will soon be able to pick them up again once everyone’s settled in.
NEST is a private Early Years Consultancy Service offering bespoke support to families with children aged 0-5 years. NEST works closely with you and your family in a nurturing and non-judgmental way to support you in your child’s early years. NEST is proud to have a strong ethos ensuring every family receives a service that is confidential, informative and exclusively tailored to their individual needs.If you would like to chat with NEST about making a more tailored moving plan to suit your family, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the contact button on my bloss profile. Written for Domv's- May 2021
Sign up today for unlimited access:
- Book appointments
- Expert advice & tips
- Premium videos & audio
- Curated parenting newsletters
- Chat with your bloss community
- Discounts & competitions
- Special events