In this article, I am going to outline the benefits of walking for weight loss but, more importantly, our overall health and wellbeing. Walking is so important for fat loss, something that most women forget about. Walking is something we can quite easily fit in around our busy lives and children. If you don’t track your steps then start doing this. It's a complete game changer. You would be surprised at how little or how much you actually move.
What are the benefits of walking?
- Improving heart health. Research suggests that walking can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and also improve longevity.
- Promoting mental health. Taking care of yourself, mind and body. Walking can regularly improve a person's cognition and also help decrease symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Maximising your NEAT. Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis, essentially the energy expended for anything besides formal exercise and sleep. Walking, doing the dishes, cleaning the house and just general movement throughout the day all contribute to NEAT. If you are walking for weight loss, NEAT can be a great tool for helping achieve your goals.
As a general rule of thumb, I recommend all my clients to hit at least 10,000 daily regardless of their goals. This is a great thing to do to help our overall health, not only fat loss goals.
Some top tips to increase your step count on a day to day basis:
- Park further away from the supermarket.
- If walking into town, park further away.
- Get the family involved. Go out for an evening walk with the kids, at the weekends incorporate walking into your activities. This will help not only your health, but your whole family's too.
- If you have a sedentary job, get up every hour and go for a walk round.
- Take the stairs not the lift.
- Get up before the children to either do some exercise or go for a walk.
- Download a good podcast/audio book.
Following on from my last point, walking is great for our minds and head space especially us busy mums. I actually find it quite therapeutic going out in the evening for a walk with my AirPods. I often listen to a podcast or audio book (getting my steps in and fuelling my mind with positivity and personal growth). This is an added bonus.
If you want some support with your health, fitness and wellness goals. Head to my bloss profile to find out more about my online coaching programmes.
Sign up today for unlimited access:
- Book appointments
- Expert advice & tips
- Premium videos & audio
- Curated parenting newsletters
- Chat with your bloss community
- Discounts & competitions
- Special events